For cybersecurity firms, scaling and accelerating sales can be incredibly challenging. The marketplace is oversaturated with companies that claim their technology can do everything, fix anything—and when dozens of firms all supposedly solve similar problems, potential customers can get overwhelmed by the sales noise.
This creates a unique set of challenges for go-to-market growth in information security sales. Because no matter how great your product actually is, it’s difficult to reach your target audience and get them to perceive you as a solution, not just a “nice-to-have” tool.
In this environment, how does a cybersecurity firm cut through the noise to build meaningful relationships with target customers and accelerate market traction?
To set a baseline, it’s critical to understand the value your company brings to the market. Here are four questions to ask yourself to determine how well you do.
- Is what you’re doing in line with what the market actually wants?
- Are you confident that your sales team is maximizing each opportunity?
- Are you getting the strongest ROI possible from the investments you’ve already made in sales resources?
- Do you know exactly how much activity it takes to get a certain number of opportunities in the pipeline?
If you don’t know the answers to some of these—and too many founders and business leaders don’t—it’s time to re-evaluate your sales strategy.
To better position yourself for sales growth, you must develop and execute viable market engagement tactics. These include:
- Identifying metrics and quantifiable deliverables that you can communicate and measure your success against
- Seeking and acting on strategy recommendations based on real-time data and market insights
- Enabling the launch of new products in new markets to test viability and interest
- Executing better sales practices designed to increase new leads and customer retention
Additionally, your goals will vary depending on whether you’re trying to kickstart sales, or accelerate them. Make sure your sales organization considers and addresses these critical areas:
|For a sales kickstart…||For sales acceleration…|
|Understand the ideal customer profile||Explore leadership changes|
|Build a messaging framework that resonates with target markets||Breathe new life into the sales practice|
|Get direct market feedback through a testing team to determine market interest and establish sales metrics||Stabilize sales efforts and establish a baseline for future growth|
|Build a pipeline and create predictability for sales and management teams||Develop a sales program that delivers both immediate and lasting value|
Mansfield’s experienced B2B sales advisors work with cybersecurity firms around the globe to increase deal flow and execute strategies that take the guesswork out of scaling sales. Our sales consulting practice is supported by real-time sales data and market insights from our CISO executive Thought Leadership Council.